Texas Governor Greg Abbott (right) announced on Wednesday that state officials start an investigation in charges of sexual abuse and other neglect at an immigration center in San Antonio that houses unaccompanied minors.

The Freeman Coliseum in San Antonio was set up as an emergency facility to house unaccompanied minors. Officials are investigating three separate incident reports of abuse.

Abbott called on the federal government government to shut down the facility in light of the allegations.

During a press conference wednesday, he said, “This facility is a health and safety nightmare. The Biden administration now presides over child abuse. To put an end to these abuses, the Biden administration must immediately shut down this facility. “

Currently, the facility accommodates approximately 1,300 people.

RELATED: New Conservative Poll: Most Americans Opposed Major League Baseball & Business ‘Wake Up’

Competing Stories of Abuse Reports

Bexar County Commissioner Rebeca Clay-Flores says she has visited the facility on several occasions and seen the children being well cared for.

Clay-Flores said: “What I saw when I have been there several times, there were well equipped staff, the kids are very happy and very excited to be here. This is not a political issue, it is about children who deserve the protection of adults. ”

Governor Abbott said the claims were reported to the Texas Department of Protective and Family Services and the Texas Health and Human Services Commission.

Abbott did not know the identity of the alleged assault victims and did not provide any further details regarding the case.

In addition to the sexual assault allegations, there are reports that some the children did not eat throughout the day, and that those who had tested positive for COVID-19 were not separated from those who had tested negative, and that the facility was understaffed.

RELATED: Biden’s ATF Director Wants a ‘Well Regulated’ Second Amendment

Biden said he will reunite migrant families, no reunions yet

At the top of Joe Biden’s campaign pledge list was reunite immigrant families who had been separated under the Trump administration.

Department of Homeland Security officials said no such meeting had taken place and accused the Trump administration of “incomplete” information.

In February, Biden announced that a task force led by DHS secretary Alejandro Mayorkas would be tasked with identifying all families who had been separated.

RELATED: Former CNN Anchor Brooke Baldwin Criticizes Network As She Comes Out The Door

Border crisis at record levels

In a report from the St. Louis Post Dispatch, the US government has taken over approximately 19,000 unaccompanied children crossing the US border in March.

Officials say this is the highest number on record.

According to the CBP, 18,890 children were picked up. Previous records were 11,475 in May 2019 and 10,620 in June 2014. Some of the children traveling alone are only three years old.

President Biden appointed Vice President Kamala Harris focus on the “root causes” of illegal immigration at the southern border.

Neither Biden nor Harris have any immediate plans to visit the southern border of the United States.

Now is the time to support and share the sources you trust.
The Political Insider ranks # 16 on Feedspot of “Top 70 Conservative Blogs, Websites & Political Influencers in 2021.”