Sofia Kenin will not participate in the Tokyo Olympics
The highest ranked American singles tennis player on the planet will not compete in the Tokyo Summer Olympics.
After her defeat in the second round at Wimbledon against fellow American Madison Brengle, Sofia Kenin confirmed on Wednesday that she was giving up on taking part in the Olympic tournament.
“Yes, I don’t play at the Olympics,” Kenin said at a press conference, according to Kathleen mcnamee from ESPN. “Yes, it was a difficult decision, but I spoke about it and discussed it with my agents.
“I couldn’t take anyone with me and I absolutely wanted to have someone. Of course, I love the Olympics. It was tough, like I said.”
McNamee added that Kenin, No. 6 in the current WTA ranking, initially said in February that she wanted to play in Tokyo.
All-time greats Serena Williams and Rafael Nadal are among other tennis greats who skipped the Olympics which were postponed last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Williams retired from Wimbledon on Tuesday after having suffered an injury at the start of her first-round match against Aliaksandra Sasnovich, and the 39-year-old’s status for the rest of the summer and this year’s US Open is unknown.