A police officer was dismissed from his post after hitting a vulnerable teenage girl with a baton “at least 30 times,” said the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

Northeast Command-based Metropolitan Police Officer Benjamin Kemp was dismissed without notice following a disciplinary hearing held by the IOPC Fund.

During the hearing, the panel learned that in May 2019, a 17-year-old girl, who has a learning disability, fled from a group on an escorted walk in Newham after having been in distress.

The girl was near a main road and concerned members of the public called the police. The girl also reported a passing police car.

After the teenager told police that she was a vulnerable child with mental health issues, she agreed to get into the police car, but later got out.

The IOPC Fund said PC Kemp tried to handcuff the teenager, but if that failed, he used a CS spray within three feet of her face. “Within seconds, he started using his baton, then hit it several times,” he says.

When another police unit arrived, the girl was immediately Tasered by an officer from that vehicle, and she was beaten several times with the baton by PC Kemp, handcuffed and placed in a police van.

In total, the teenager was hit at least 30 times, the IOPC Fund said.

An investigation followed after a complaint was lodged by NHS workers and the teenager’s mother, who is from east London.

The watchdog noted that the girl was black, but there was no indication that racial discrimination played a role in the case.

The IOPC Fund’s regional director, Sal Naseem, said the force used by the police “would be shocking to most people”.

He added: “The disciplinary panel also found that PC Kemp behaved in a way that lacked self-control and ignored the vulnerable status of the teenager, who seemed very scared.

The IOPC Fund said the six-month investigation found that the officer who used the Taser “had no reason to respond for use of force,” but that there was a case of misconduct and that ‘he received a “management measure” in August of last year.

He said the officer showed disrespect to the girl and her caregiver, who later arrived at the scene.

Superintendent Richard Tucker, borough commander of Waltham Forest and Newham, said PC Kemp’s use of force was “grossly inappropriate”.

He said: “He overreacted, used grossly disproportionately excessive force and was unprofessional. For this he was held accountable and was rightly fired from the service.

“I can assure you that his actions are not representative of how we handle situations like this in Newham and London.

“On behalf of the Met, I apologize to the young woman and her family for the way he has behaved and to the communities of London for the impact this case is undoubtedly having on the confidence that they have in the way we control London.

“They and the people of London rightly expect the highest standards from their officers, and that day PC Kemp let everyone down.